Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I had the most amazing home practice today. I practice regularly in my home studio, usually very early in the morning before my kiddos get out of bed, but yesterday was very special.  See, usually I go into it with a big master plan with a list of poses I want to "work on". I then get overwhelmed...then disappointed with my residual "didn't get to" list.

Today was totally different.  I didn't have a plan.  I walked in, centered myself then simply enjoyed the practice as an exploration as opposed to a punch list. I could feel my body opening and flowing gracefully as I lost the rigidity in my mind. I was able to explore (deeper than ever I might add) some more advanced postures and the ease of which it came was surprising. I was totally blissed out.

Now as I am faced with challenges, circumstances layered by expectations and rigid plans, I will remember this practice.  I will remember to simply explore with grace and an open heart for the outcome could possibly be better than I ever imagined.

Beginning and maintaining a home practice can be challenging. Here are some things that has worked for me:

  • Set up a sacred place. Find a place that you can call your own, as free from distractions and chaos as possible, a place that is only for yoga.
  • Be ritualistic. Just as we prepare for bed and dinner, prepare for your practice.  Find a quiet time of day, put on inspiring music and light some candles.  Always begin by centering yourself and connecting to your breath.
  • Explore. Just get on the mat and see what happens.
  • Don't ruin the practice by reflecting on what you didn't do. Celebrate what you did do. You found time to nurture yourself and take care of yourself. It doesn't matter if you did a one handed scorpion.  What matters is that you calmed your thoughts, connected within and you feel good.
  • Thank yourself and honor your light within. Give yourself a pat on the back for taking time out of your busy day. Thank your body for enduring the challenges and pressures you put on it.
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment