Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It's Not Your Junk

 I sat down to prepare my classes for this week and planned the intention around approaching your practice from a beginner's mindset.  It went loosely something like this: 

This week I challenge you to practice from a beginner's mind set. I don't mean be easy on yourself. I mean let go of the expectations you have for your practice, forget about what you think the aesthetics of the posture is supposed to look like, and set yourself free of any boundaries you limit yourself to.
    
     Well, as is typical of most of my planning, it quickly fell apart.  See, a family I know was in a stressful situation and needed my help.  I was more than happy to be able to be there for them.  I was even honored to be able to help.  As the day went on and even after I knew that I had done everything in my power that I could, I was still anxious for them.  I had anxiety and I couldn't stop thinking about their situation.  Then I had the "Ah Ha" moment.  It's not my junk!  I did everything I could, but beyond that I needed to let it go.
     So, this is my challenge to you and to my students this week.  What are you holding onto, soaking up or fixating on that doesn't belong to you?  What can you let go of to create more space within for the good stuff? I don't say this for you to walk around with a "screw you" attitude.  Hold that person in need with compassion, be helpful, lend an ear, give them your shoulder.  Just be real with yourself and own what is yours and let other people own theirs.   

     Meta Meditation – Loving-kindness ~ Buddha

May I be well
May I be happy and content
May I be free from danger and suffering
May I be filled with loving-kindness


May you be well
May you be happy and content
May you be free from danger and suffering
May you be filled with loving-kindness


May all beings be well
May all beings be happy and content
May all beings be free from danger and suffering
May all beings be filled with loving-kindness 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment